Monday, March 8, 2010

I love dead people

Sorry its been a while!


Read 10 Books:


Just finished #2. Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers, by Mary Roach. Loved it! This book is so interesting but not for those who are easily queasy. It covers all sorts of stuff about dead bodies. You know how you hear about donating your body to science: but no one really knows what that means. Well, Mary knows. She researched all sorts of things we do with dead people.




I can't believe she (or anyone) actually has the stomach to do the stuff she writes about. I mean thank goodness they do because I am convinced it takes a very special type of person to work with dead people.


Anyway, I learned all sorts of cool stuff about cadavers and how we use them to make our lives better. Everyone wants to attribute our extremely safe cars these days to crash dummies. However, first they have to do all these experiments with human cadavers to figure out a human body's thresholds and then calibrate the dummies based on that info. Doctors practice procedures and surgery on cadavers to make sure they know what they're doing when they work on the real deal. Thank goodness, can you imagine being the 'practice' heart transplant or 'test run' face lift.


I highly recommend this book. Don't you want to learn about the history of body snatching and all the parts of dead bodies the Chinese ingest as 'remedies'?

Volunteer: more than once and actually enjoy it


I volunteered this past Saturday with the Princess Project. This organization provides prom dresses, accessories, and other fun stuff for high school girls who can not afford them. I helped at a Dress Sort. That means I inspected hundreds of dresses looking for stains, checking sizes, and zipping zippers. With over 2,000 dresses at the San Francisco location I am glad there were a bunch of other volunteers.

The actual giveaways (where the girls come in and pick out their dresses) aren't for a couple weeks but I will be there for the first day along with my roommates!





Learn how to drive a stick


So my boyfriend just got a new car and.....it's an automatic. Obviously, this goal is on the back burner for now. I don't even know anyone else with a manual. If they are so rare maybe its pointless to learn.

See 3 new places


Leaving for Boston on Thursday!!!



To refresh your memory here is the list:

  1. Read 10 books
  2. Write an article and submit it to a few magazines
  3. Throw 2 great parties: I’m talking invitations, a full menu, create a “tablescape”, you know the whole domestic goddess thing
  4. Run a race: over 3 miles
  5. Volunteer:more than once, and actually enjoy it
  6. Learn how to drive a stick shift
  7. See 3 new places:destinations or noteworthy spots not something like the newest bar on the strip
  8. Re-learn how to ski:after 13 years its time to get back on the mountain
  9. Create 5 unique paintings
  10. Learn how to spell:seriously, it’s embarrassing

No comments:

Post a Comment